Everything God does in our life — everything —
belongs to His concerted effort to draw us into collaboration with Himself,
so that He can make Himself real in our life, as we recognize and respond to His Presence and power moving through us.
Every word from God comes as His initiative, His motion in our soul, His intention for us — giving us something to connect with, to latch onto
— so that cleaving together, He can begin to work His purpose in us
The Divine Dialogue is how God connects us with His purpose
to fulfill His purpose in us.
The top half of the arc in the illustration above represents the spoken word of God coming to you in a given moment of time, the living person of Jesus moving on your life, a passage from the written word — God’s divine dialogue with all men in all time — finding its target in your heart to speak truth to you.
The bottom half of the arc represents your mirror-like recognition and response to His initiative.
The divine dialogue is not the privilege of a few spiritual people who “hear God,” it is our necessary life-line. Without it we are out of fellowship with Him. Without communication, we are at risk, left in the dark kindling our own fire, out of touch with what God is doing, out of touch with what God is after.
Our awareness of what God is saying to us, what He is teaching us, how He is leading us takes us beyond religion (believing certain things to be true about God) into relationship (vital ongoing connection with Him.) The difference between religion and relationship lies in the expectations and the condition of our heart.
- If we don’t know that communion with God is possible, our lack of expectation will keep us from pressing toward it.
- If we are half-hearted or our hearts are hard, we will be desensitized to His attempts to connect with us. Offense at God causes our hearts to grow hard. Distraction and taking Him for granted makes us half-hearted, so that we only hear a little of what He is saying, having no grasp of the message from His heart.
For our relationship with Him to flourish, our heart has to be right.
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME, AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS . . . (Hebrews 3:7-8)
The purpose of the divine dialogue
is to enable you to lay hold of Him,
so that He can lay hold of you.
- What God is Working for: November 14, 2013
- The One Thing God Has Always Been Working For: December 19, 2013
- Our Part in What God is Working For: December 30, 2013
- God is Working to Bring Us into His Keeping Power: January 10, 2014