When a dozen cars pull to the side of the road, it usually means something. Here in Montana, it almost always signals that someone has spotted a big bear. One after another, cars pull off for a glimpse worth stopping to see.
I drive quickly past eclipses, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and dips in the stock market … considering them just part of the scenery… until I spot a striking string of coincidences that begs the question, “What do these things mean?” 
Most of us have personally experienced God’s orchestration of circumstances to arrest our attention, causing us to notice what pulls us aside for a better glimpse of what we sense is important to see. And we’ve known the encouragement of a company of others pulled aside too…
In a time of instability and uproar, when significant events pull us aside, it seems highly advantageous to pool our resources so we might understand what these things mean.
It is one thing to notice a string of coincidences,
it is quite another to rightly interpret what they mean.
To rightly interpret what a series of events means,
we have to rightly identify THE PERSON
Who is orchestrating those events.
A secularist, humanist, Muslim, Jew, liberal or conservative Christian will each have a very different idea of God, affecting their take on events. Our grasp of THE PERSON orchestrating those events cannot help but color our interpretation of those events.
My God is THE PERSON
- Whose hand is behind the changes in history,
- Whose eternal purpose is being fleshed out on Earth now
- Who is intimately involved in human life and circumstance
- Who cares about the smallest matters in our lives
- Who heals and restores us
- Who uses our heartaches to perfect that which concerns us
- Who eagerly draws us into collaboration with Himself,
- Who relishes relationship with us,
- Whose unequivocal love for us makes Him ache, when we are making bad choices, suffering unnecessarily
- Who loves us so fiercely and protectively, that He will use even calamity to turn us away from the danger of our present course, to bring us back into our security in Him
- Who is always speaking, even when we are not listening
- Whose messages, insights, corrections, and direction come to us through multiple streams all bearing the same witness
- Whose attitudes, emotions, speech and actions align with Scripture, never at odds with His Word in any point
- Who gave us The Bible as a kind of Rosetta Stone  to help us to decipher the meaning of everything.
- Who has opinions about everything, and shares them freely
- Who corrects us where we are off in our understanding, when we can bear it, if we will allow it
- Who gave us our right to choose to love Him or not, because real love only exists where there is real choice.
My grasp of THAT PERSON shapes my interpretation of the events He orchestrates to communicate with me.
In 2011 God pulled me off the road to observe the phenomenal string of symbolic events that took place in the wake of 9/11. There was a startling convergence of coincidences that defied any possibility of randomness… and I instantly recognized that a message was being communicated to us through that series of events that could have only been orchestrated by God.
The man who first saw this convergence of coincidences was Jonathan Cahn, who enumerated them in his book The Harbinger. Every chapter presenting facts and events that begged the question, “What do these things mean?”
There were many who pulled aside to consider the meaning of those events. But as a Messianic Jewish Rabbi, Cahn saw what Christian leaders did not: the correlation of those orchestrated events with the Hebrew calendar. THE PERSON orchestrating those events, giving them meaning, seeking to gain the world’s attention was identifying Himself as the God of Sinai, the God of Abraham, Moses and Israel.
Cahn gently noted the irony of our national leaders solemnly standing before the American people to comfort them from Scripture, which they themselves did not understand. Multiple times they quoted Isaiah 9:10:
The bricks have fallen down, But we will rebuild with smooth stones; The sycamores have been cut down, But we will replace them with cedars.
Our leaders were proclaiming God’s word over the nation without having read the verses on either side, not realizing the indictment of Isaiah 9:9-11:
… Asserting in pride and in arrogance of heart: 10“The bricks have fallen down, But we will rebuild with smooth stones; The sycamores have been cutdown, But we will replace them with cedars.” 11Therefore the LORD raises against them adversaries from Rezin And spurs their enemies on,…
Without realizing it, they were proclaiming The Word of God over America, fulfilling the very thing those verses warned against.
Ancient Israel had responded to an unexpected, short, contained Assyrian attack with pride and in arrogance of heart, vowing to come back stronger. When her Defender momentarily withdrew His protection of her, she did not respond in humility, asking Him, “What do these things mean?” Instead, she was defiant, blind to how she was putting herself in greater danger, in which her destiny as God’s people was at risk. And so God would raise up adversaries against her, spurring her enemies on.
So, what does it mean that our leaders chose to proclaim that very verse, when we had just suffered the short, unexpected, contained attack of 9/11? What does it mean that they fulfilled the very thing those verses warned against, and so did we? Who among us hasn’t felt a surge of pride in vowing to come back stronger? Who among us asked, with a humbled and contrite spirit, “Lord, What do these things mean?”
In The Harbinger, Cahn reveals that there was actually a sycamore tree that was cut down by flying debris… and it was replaced with a cedar…at ground zero… the very ground where George Washington consecrated this nation, warning prophetically that if we ever turned away from God, we could not expect His protection to endure. Replacing that sycamore with a cedar was just one more way we fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy and Washington’s as well.
Isaiah prophesied and history confirmed that the LORD would raise adversaries against ancient Israel and spur her enemies on. Hmmmm.
Jonathan Cahn, and others have warned us of our defiance, imploring us to change, so that we might be saved from the kind of tragedy that befell Israel. The thing about Isaiah 9:9-11, as with all Biblical prophecy, is that it has both near and far implications, both then and now relevance, both historical and personal application, both national and universal reach. Isaiah 9:9-11 is not an old story about an ancient nation, but an invincible eternal principle fulfilling itself in a moral universe, where defiance brings destruction.
The nightly news tells me that we are, as a nation, in a much worse place than we were in 2001. Our government, business, media and entertainment culture have become brazen in their defiance of Scripture, showing unparalleled contempt for Christians who believe The Bible to be the word of God, utterly rejecting The One portrayed in Scripture as God. Truth is considered hate speech.
What do these things mean?
There is vast division in the body of Christ over the meaning of present day events. It saddens me with the grief of realizing that Jesus asked one thing of His Father the night before his crucifixion –that we would be one–and that prayer has never been answered.
I believe that God, the Father, is not going to allow that prayer to remain unanswered forever. I believe that a new move of God is afoot, to answer that prayer. I believe that He is serious enough about our becoming who we are meant to be, doing what we are meant to do, and becoming one that He will stop at nothing to bring it about.
If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble? If a calamity occurs in a city has not the LORD done it? Surely the Lord GOD does nothing Unless He reveals His secret counsel To His servants the prophets.
This is a startling statement, but it confirms that we have every reason to ask, “What do these things mean?”
THE PERSON behind the events taking place in our time has given us Amos 3:7 to assure us there are those among us receiving His counsel. In the company of His servants pulled to the side of the road, arrested by what He is revealing to them, we pool our resources to rightly understand what present events mean.
I tremble with expectancy, my eye upon Him. Scripture tells us that Judgment begins with the house of God… not to beat us up, not to destroy us, not to rip our dreams out from under us, not to plunge us into despair, not to rob our children of their futures… He made them for eternity.
Judgment begins with the house of God… not to harm us, but to separate us from what would harm us irrevocably…. to restore us to Himself… to fulfill His word concerning us, so that we would manifest the exquisite descriptions of the bride of Christ, the sons of God and the overcoming warriors … which we live so short of now.
God’s merciful blows strip us of deceit… His wise judgment marks the strong measure of His staunch commitment to us. His are the strokes that heal. He is the one who always comes to minister to our hearts, to bind our wounds, to breathe brightness into our dark soul until there is no more need to explain…
When judgment comes to the house of God, we rise up whole and strong where we’ve been broken and deformed before. And when it is done–joy, relief and gladness mark the place where we are not just changed, but His forever.
If we are the last generation…. I expect a grand finale, in which all of the promises and powerful descriptions will be fulfilled in us.
The string of coincidences listed below cannot help but make one wonder, “What do these things mean?” It takes a biblical view of God to see the connecting thread of His protective concern for Israel, and His warning against those who would do the Jewish people harm.
- In 1938 “The Long Island Express,” a deadly hurricane killed more than 600 people in New England. This took place during the rising persecution of the Jewish people, leading up to the Holocaust. According to author John McTernan, the eye of the hurricane came directly over Camp Siegfried and Adolf Hitler street in Long Island. This storm took place 38 days after Camp Siegfried was the center of the largest Nazi rally outside of Germany.
- President H. W. Bush broke from Reagan’s pro-Israel policies to forge an Arab-Israeli “peace” plan recognizing a Palestinian “right” to biblically Jewish lands. While he was in Spain advocating the division of Israel, the “Perfect Storm” formed in the Atlantic, sending 30-foot ocean waves crashing into his Kennebunkport home … as he was calling on Israel to give up their homes on the West Bank.
- Similarly, Hurricane Katrina, the deadliest and costliest hurricane up to that time in U.S. history, hit Aug. 29, 2005; the storm began the day President George W. Bush congratulated Israel for evacuating Gaza, calling on the Israelis and Palestinians to agree to his two-state plan. (http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/could-frankenstorm-be-a-sign-from-god/#B8TH2wOqzHdbI967.99)
- In his book “Eye to Eye: Facing the Consequences of Dividing Israel,” Bill Koenig notes that nine of the 10 costliest insurance events in U.S. history followed strong calls by U.S. officials for Israel to make land concessions in bids for peace. And three straight Republican conventions were either postponed or became secondary news due to hurricanes, when Republicans were pressuring Israel to divide the land. (2004, 2008, 20012) . http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/could-frankenstorm-be-a-sign-from-god/#B8TH2wOqzHdbI967.99
Are these merely coincidences? Or are these a string of orchestrated events sending a message, a warning, that only a person with a Biblical world view would understand? Are they a strenuous warning of danger to any who despise the biblical claim that God has claimed the land of Israel for Himself?
 The Rosetta Stone was found in 1799, inscribed with three versions of the same message in 196 BC…. that message was written in three different languages: ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic script, ancient Egyptian Demotic Script, and Ancient Greek. Because we could read the Greek, the Rosetta Stone became the key in deciphering the unknown meaning of the ancient Hieroglyphs.
In the same way, Scripture serves as a known language that helps us decipher the unknown meaning of divinely orchestrated events.